Mothers of Young Children
Clothing and Toy Sale
(A Ministry of West End Assembly of God)
401 North Parham Road Richmond, VA 23229
Public Sale: Sat., March 16, 2013: 8am-12pm
Preview Sale for volunteers and consignors:
Friday, March 15, 2013
Volunteers: 4-8pm/Consignors: 6-8pm
(no children, no strollers)
This will be our 35th sale! Thank you for your participation and support!
Online Registration for Consignors: February 1-15
Online Registration for Volunteers: February 1- March 10
Go to the Tagging Items tab above to download new files for tags and log sheets. Now you can use Excel on your PC/Mac or use Numbers on your Mac/iPad/iPhone with our new one file method. No more merging required! You will be able to type all item info into the log sheet and the tags will be created automatically. Scroll down within the Tagging Items page to find detailed instructions. Please note: Due to formatting issues with the new (smaller) tags, you may need to put the safety pins vertically rather than horizontally when pinning onto clothing.
Our spring 2013 sale will take place on Saturday, March 16, 2013 from 8am – 12 noon. Click on the volunteerspot link to sign up if you would like to volunteer with us. You do not need to be a consignor in order to volunteer and registered volunteers get to shop on Friday night from 4-8pm! Registration for consignors will take place February 1-15. You should have received an email with a link to register. Any questions, please email email@example.com. Thank you so much for your dedication to this wonderful ministry!
It has come to our attention that some consignors are having challenges with the log-to-tag merging despite the detailed instructions. We put that together as an extra benefit, a perk if you will. Due to the many variations of computer platforms and MS Office versions, we are unable to provide support. Feel free to type items into your log sheet and retype into your tag sheets and that will still be quicker than handwriting everything as was required in the past! However, if you have thoroughly attempted the merge and still cannot do it, you may email your completed log spreadsheet to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will perform the merge and email the tags back to you. The cut-off for this is Wed at 9:00pm. Please allow up to 24 hrs. for turnaround. Thank you for understanding as every facet of this sale is run completely by volunteers.
Revised XLS Excel spreadsheet and DOC Word document files for the new automated log-to-tag merging have been uploaded to the Tagging Items page.
If you have NOT yet started entering items, please delete the previous files you downloaded and re-download from the links at the top of the Tagging Items page.
While assisting with file debugging across different versions of Excel and Word, a couple minor changes became apparent…
- Some versions of Word do NOT ask for a data range, such as A10:G210, but instead ask for a named range. So the new XLS file has a named range of MergeArea. In these versions of Word, such as the 2007 version, you will need to select for MergeArea in the list of data sources to choose from.
- We found that the 2007 version of Word also does not correctly format numeric fields when merging from Excel to Word. Prices that were shown in Excel as $2.00 appeared in Word as $2 and those entered as $1.50 would show up as $1.5. So, no trailing zeros after the decimals. We fixed that by defining formatting switches behind the scenes for the price field in the Word doc and it now appears to work as desired.
IF you have already entered log items, but not yet merged, you may want to re-download just the DOC file IF you find encounter the “bug” issues in #’s 1&2 above when you merge. There is a do-it-yourself fix with Excel, if you’re brave to tackle, that will create a named range for merging…
- Close your existing Word file if you have it open and do not save if prompted.
- Delete the old Word file and re-download the new one from the Tagging Items page
- Unprotect the Excel spreadsheet. This option is in the toolbar ribbon at the top of Excel, believed under the Data settings.
- Click the ‘B’ column header and drag to the left as if to select the currently invisible column ‘A’
- Right-click anywhere along column ‘B’ and select Unhide (note this will be greyed out if you failed to unprotect the spreadsheet) …column ‘A’ should now be visible
- Click on cell A10, hold and drag through cell G210 to select the entire log table
- Right-click anywhere on the selected area and choose to Name the Range/Space
- Enter a name of ‘MergeArea’ and click Ok to save it
- You can right click column ‘A’ if you like and Hide it again
- You can opt to re-protect the spreadsheet for easy tab entry of additional items
- Be sure to save the spreadsheet, open Word and merge as described at the top of this post
Save time by typing your items in your log sheet and automatically merge the data onto tags!
We have taken the time to carefully format a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet and a Microsoft Word document to make this possible and while we have attempted to simplify the process as much as possible and lock the documents to prevent mistakes, this process does require comfortability with using these Microsoft Office programs. The provided docs were configured and saved to work with recent Mac and PC versions of Excel and Word, but we are unable to guarantee operation for your computer and software, nor are we able to provide individual support.
Please read all of the following instructions before attempting. There’s a lot of steps broken out below, but it is really not that difficult of a process. Also, we recommend as a compatibility check that you log no more than 25-35 items, then perform a test merge. If everything worked as you expected, you should have no problem with as many as 200 items.
For those of you not feeling inspired to tackle full automation, feel free to download just the Excel file below for easy tab-thru computer entry of your items for sale. Then at the top of the Tagging Items page, just download either the normal blank Word Doc tag sheet to manually type again your items, or the blank PDF version to write them by hand.
For the adventurous among you…
- Download both the Excel file “MOYC_Merge_Log_2011.XLS” and the Word “MOYC_Merge_Tags_2011.DOC“
- Be sure to save the two files in the same directory
- Open the Excel file first
- At the top of the sheet, replace the 111 consignor number and AAA consignor initials with your own
- Enter your name, address, email, and phone number in the specified fields – from this point on, you should be able to simply tab through the various fields requiring input
- Replace the sample description, size and price with the correct info for Item #1, then proceed to log additional items
- As stated above, once you have 25-35 items logged, we recommend you save the spreadsheet using the same name and do a test merge with the following instructions
- Open the Word file
- Word should automatically recognize the document as configured for merging data and locate the source Excel file if saved in the same directory
- If Word does NOT open some sort of Mail Merge Manager, select Mail Merge from Tools in Word’s menu bar at the top of the screen
- If a Mail Merge Manager or wizard has appeared, but it does NOT list an identified data source, a button should be available to click to Open Data Source and you can then select your saved Excel file
- Assuming step 9 worked fine, or if not you were able to proceed through steps 10 & 11, a dialogue box should appear confirming which worksheet to use, which is ‘Log‘ and a data range, in which you will need to enter A10:G210 (note that you are welcome to replace G210 with the actual last row of your spreadsheet if selling less than 200 items, ex: G83 if selling 73 items)
- A tag template should now appear with a number of cryptic merge fields visible – DO NOT CHANGE – if you accidentally mess something up, either undo or close the file without saving and re-open to start over
- In the Mail Merge Manager, you should see a final step of performing the merge with options to ‘Merge to Printer’ or ‘Merge to A New Document’ – it is suggested that you merge to a new document so you can review the results before printing
- If all looks good, you may now print your tags or close the merged results doc and the template doc (again without saving) and log more items before performing a final merge
- If a lot of blank labels appear, you can either adjust the data range in step 12, or before merging to a new document in step 14 you can specify a custom record range, such as 1 to 92 if you are selling 92 items
The new and improved weagmoyc.org owes much credit to the ease and power of WordPress, the world’s #1 blogging platform. You may not know much about blogs, or may have a perception of blogs limited to trendy rumblings posted by wanna-be reporters.
The reality is, blogging platforms have matured into full-featured communication mediums. In fact, a number of business web sites have been built solely using a blog platform, such as WordPress, so why not MOYC’s sale site?!
The benefit to you, the reader, the consignor, the volunteer is a more easily navigable site, with more frequently updated content that you can actually subscribe to. That’s right…no need to keep checking the site for the latest news from MOYC leadership. Simply subscribe to what’s called an RSS feed. There’s links to the right and at the top of this blog page for the RSS feed.
By ‘subscribing’ you can be emailed when there is a new post. Or, of you are an avid blog reader, you can add the URL of the RSS feed to your favorite reader. If unsure, you can’t go wrong with Google’s Reader. If you like to read on your iPad, check out Feeddler or FlipBook.
In any way you prefer, we hope you thoroughly enjoy the new weagmoyc.org.
MOYC uses an online volunteer scheduling system called VolunteerSpot.
- click on the VolunteerSpot button in the right sidebar
- enter your email address, twice, when prompted
- on the calendar that appears, select a day you are interested in serving
- view the list of available tasks and time slots — PICK ONE
- click to Save your task/date/time selection – you are not done yet
- be sure to click the red CONFIRM button above the calendar
That’s it! You will receive a confirmation email with a link to revisit your registration, should you need to cancel or change your volunteer slot.
For more info about volunteering, click here.